Touch up paint`

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by russian
    Mine is 3 coats , but you can go darker if you want to .
    3 coats, huh? I thought it looks a little dark for my taste... I think I'm gonna use 1 or 2 coats less I'm definitely gonna try this, but first I wanna make sure that it can be removed (just in case I majorly screw it up).

Comment

Hey, why don't you take some close-ups? That would be really cool.

Comment

I did some research and there seem to be a couple of different brands. I found one on ebay for $8.99 + $3.85 S&H and the guys say that it is removable.

If needed, the coating can be removed with lacquer thinner on a lint free cloth.
        Here's what I purchased: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2443447367

There's also the VHT stuff, but apparently it cannot be removed:

Warning: Once applied to plastic lens, SP999 is not able to be satisfactorily removed. Recommended for off-road use.
        I will think twice before applying anything to my tail lights and/or reflector.

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Intruder
          3 coats, huh? I thought it looks a little dark for my taste... I think I'm gonna use 1 or 2 coats less I'm definitely gonna try this, but first I wanna make sure that it can be removed (just in case I majorly screw it up). [/QUOTE

Basicly 1 coat is barely visible , tint is pretty light .

It's totally up to you, if you wanna try that removable stuff or something permanent. On my opinion that removable stuff won't last too long , I guess untill first car wash
          The other thing, basicly you can remove anything, any kind of paint . The point is - can it be removed without damaging plastic ? I afraid that paint sinner contains some chemicals that removes paint and a top lair of plastic. Which is no good. So it's up to seller - I can say about VHT "It can be easely removed with acetone " .
          98 protege LX for appearance
          89 626 GT for performance

Comment

russian, I think that the paint is NOT removable. Meaning that it is not easily removed and leaves residue after it has been removed (screwing up your tail lights). I send an email to the guys selling it and here is what they had to say:

Yes it is possible to remove the tint, but it is difficult. You have to
            sand it down with fine sand paper. Once you remove the tint you must clear
            coat your taillights. What I recommend is that if you don't want to both
            with the hassle of removing it don't tint the taillights.
            1 coat not enough? We'll see. I'll apply it till I get the desired results. I have seen some VWs (and other cars) with darkened taillights and I always thought that those are OEM. I want to get that look. Yours is too dark for me.

Here's what the guy said(wrote) when I asked him about the coats.

If I remember correctly 1 coat isn't dark. I think I use about 4 coats on those taillights.
            Here's a link with the results: dark tail lights

Comment

I am not 100% sure about that auction, because the some of the pics on it look photoshoped. Especially the Acura and the Ford. Honda on the other hand look ok.
              "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

Originally posted by turbonium959
                I am not 100% sure about that auction, because the some of the pics on it look photoshoped. Especially the Acura and the Ford. Honda on the other hand look ok.
                That's what I thought.

Comment

I think it's more of a choice between something that will be easily removable and something permanent. Do permanent if you 100% sure that you'll like it after. The one thing I would recommend if you don't mind spending 20$. Get that "washable" stuff and try it on, find desired result and do it with permanent paint . I REALLY doubt that that e-bay tint will stay longer then a week , or at least keep good look . Mine still look the same as when I painted them .
                  Those pictures is 99.999999% photochoped , that's too dark . I'm gonna find pictures of my tinted corners wich was like 6 coats (Yep I was bored ) , and they DON'T have that black look .
                  So , good luck with whatever way you'll chose, and make some pictures Let us know how it worked .

Comment

Here's a picture of those . It's hard to see but it still see orange through it .
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by russian; 11-18-2003, 10:14 PM.

Comment

dude, I think it's time for you to get a digital camera

Comment

Yep , I know . But every time I have money for digital camera I come up with new idea for my car I'll get it for sure next year , before I'll start upgraiding my car for summer. Do you have a cheape one ( or free ) for such a nice guy like me ?

Comment

nope, no free cameras here
                          Last edited by Intruder; 11-18-2003, 10:56 PM.

Comment

You see now how hard is it to find digital camera ?
                            So, did you bid on that stuff from e-bay ?

Comment

Originally posted by russian
                              You see now how hard is it to find digital camera ?
                              So, did you bid on that stuff from e-bay ?
                              it's not difficult to find a digital camera. I recently purchased a canon s10 for a friend for under $100. the camera makes excellent pictures and the resolution is more than you will ever need. it's definitely worth it.

regarding the tint - I did not bid. I bought it.

Comment

Great. I'll start looking for friends with digital cameras, one day I'll have one !

Comment

Working...
                                X